By Ilona Kauremszky

Q: Are Chile and Argentina safe?

A: For country updates, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Consular Affairs publishes an easy online report which you can read at Simply plug in the name of the destination and the results will appear.

When it comes to Canadians traveling to Argentina the DFAIT has a list of recommendations and safety precautions. On the Argentina front, the DFAIT reports, “Though the economic and political crisis of 2001-2002 is over and the recovery has been strong, its consequences are still evident in Argentina.

Demonstrations, protests, marches, strikes, some violent, may occur in the capital, Buenos Aires, throughout the country and on main highways,” and adds, “Avoid large gatherings and pay attention to local news reports. A tourist visa is not required but you need a valid Canadian passport that has an expiry date six months beyond the travel date.”

For travel to Chile, the DFAIT warns against travel to the demarcated landmine fields in regions I (bordering on Peru and Bolivia), II (bordering on Bolivia), and XII (bordering on Argentina in the Magallanes region of southern Chile, between Punta Arenas and Torres del Paine National Park, as well as Tierra del Fuego).

Visitors should check with park authorities or local authorities before entering less-travelled areas and observe all warning signs. For Chile, in addition to a valid Canadian passport, Canadians also must be in possession of a tourist card which is provided by the airlines.


dispatches | q&a | photos | fork | newsletter | archives | links | search | store | streaming | submissions | about | contact | home

All text & photos © 2003-2006.