By Ilona Kauremszky

Q: What do I need to get for a trip to Cuba?

A: Canadians entering Cuba need a valid passport and a tourist card which you receive generally from your tour operator or airline or can also be obtained from a Cuban government office in Canada in the case of privately organized flights.

The Cuban Tourism Office reports that your passport expiry date needs to be valid for at least a week after your return date. So for instance, if youíre scheduled to return March 10, make sure your passportís expiry date is at least dated March 17. However, according to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, their web site notes your passport must be valid for at least one month beyond the date of your expected departure from the country.

I always like to err on the side of caution so would recommend prescribing the Foreign Affairs advisory. When departing Cuba you will also need to pay a departure tax of $25 CUC (Cuban Convertible pesos) to be paid in cash at the airport.

For other travel-related questions, visit the Cuba Tourism Office online at GoCuba.


dispatches | q&a | photos | film | fork | news | archives | links | search | store | submit | about | contact | home

All text & photos © 2002-09.