By Ilona Kauremszky

Q: I'm a first year university student. Right now, I'm not sure if I want to continue my studies. I've often thought about teaching English in Korea. Do you know where I can get more info?

A: The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) has a free publication entitled, "Teaching English in Korea" that you can easily download at "Some Canadian citizens have come to Korea under contract with promises of generous salaries, bonuses and other amenities, and many are quite satisfied with the experience.

A minority, however, have found themselves in positions far different from those originally promised," states the DFAIT and adds, "(the Canadian government) cannot investigate, certify or vouch for prospective employers.

It is up to each individual to evaluate any employment offer before signing a contract." "Teaching English in Korea" has 15 sections covering such topics as "Types of Foreign Language Institutes and Programs," "Visa Matters," "Contracts," "Salary," and "Housing."

For further inquiries about teaching English in Korea, you can reach the Consular Affairs Bureau at toll-free 1-800-267-6788 or (613) 944-6788.


Dispatches| Q&A | Photos | Fork | Compass Calls | Links | Search | Store | About | Contact | Home

All text & photos 2004.