By Ilona Kauremszky

Q: My eldest son will be entering his first year of university this fall. He'll be in a general arts program this year and is unsure of what he'd like to do for a career. I've suggested to him that he might wish to work abroad at some point while he is in school giving him a chance to visit different parts of the world. Would you know of any programs or how I might get him interested in pursuing this.

A: The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) offers a list of International Youth Programs available at their web site, The programs are geared towards young Canadians, between the ages of 18 and 30, allowing them the opportunity to obtain new skills and training which will help them compete in the global economy and broaden their exposure to foreign cultures.

You'll find embassies, high commissions and consulates in Canada organize some of the international youth programs.

The Student Work Abroad Program otherwise known as SWAP is a program sponsored by the Canadian Federation of Students and administered by the Federation's travel company, Travel Cuts. SWAP gives Canadian university and college students a chance to work and travel in other countries. For more details, visit


Dispatches| Q&A | Photos | Fork | Compass Calls | Links | Search | Store | About | Contact | Home

All text & photos 2004.