By Ilona Kauremszky

Q: Iím so confused about travelling into the United States these days. I wanted to drive there and spend the weekend perhaps do some cross border shopping. But Iíve lost track on all the latest restrictions. What do I need to get into the United States? I am a Canadian-born Canadian citizen.

A: The requirements for border crossings into the United States have changed yet again. As of January 31, 2008 travelling into the United States by car or by boat, you will need the following: a government-issued photo ID such as a driverís licence plus a birth certificate or a citizenship card.

If you donít wish to use these documents then use a valid passport. For those ages 18 and under a birth certificate is fine. Of course for those of us flying into the US (this includes transfers to connecting flights), you must have a valid Canadian passport.

If you need more information, the federal government has set up a toll-free number 1.800.OCanada (1-800-622-6232) or you can visit them online at Once on this web site, click on the sublink ďTraveling to the USĒ on the homepage.


dispatches | q&a | photos | fork | newsletter | archives | links | search | store | submissions | about | contact | home

All text & photos © 2002-08.